June 18, 2021
I would not have made it through this busy, presummer week in the fields if I hadn’t made a tray of these easy, delicious power bars on Monday. Not that you need a reason....
Peanut Butter & Jam Bars
Yield: 16 one-inch squares
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup unsalted butter (or plant-based butter)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup TRF Wild Blueberry Spreadable Fruit
1) Preheat oven to 350°F (117°C). Line an 8-inch-by-8-inch baking pan with parchment paper or spritz with oil to keep from sticking.
2) Heat peanut butter and butter in small pan over low heat until melted and smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in the sugars and vanilla until combined.
3) In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to peanut butter mixture, rubbing together with fingers or tossing with a fork until just combined into a lovely crumbly mix. Reserve 1 cup dough for topping the bars and refrigerate until you are ready to use it.
4) Press the remaining dough into the bottom of the prepared pan, making sure it is an even depth. Bake until lightly golden brown and set, 14 to 20 minutes. Let pan cool over a wire rack for 15 minutes.
5) Spread wild blueberry jam over the prepared crust with an offset spatula or back of spoon. Sprinkle reserved dough over the top.
6) Bake until topping is golden and filling is bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely in pan. Cut into bars and serve at room temp. Lasts for 1 week in fridge or 3 days at room temp.